A Day at the Bencab Museum

I'm starting to love going to provinces by aircon bus. I must admit it was just recently that I discovered this as a better alternative to driving my own car. Although it takes a bit longer to reach one's destination, removing  the physical burden of driving and the possibility of sleeping through the trip is priceless. And so, it has become easier for me to submit to my spur of the moment whims of packing and leaving Manila for a day or two.

The first week of November,  I decided it was to be Benguet just to unwind at the Bencab Museum. When asked why I wanted to check the museum, "He's a national artist, for Chrissakes! Let's get educated!" Further, for an art lover, Bencab's museum is the perfect place to savor Baguio's awesome cold climate amidst walls of  mountains and lush greenery.




View of Benguet houses on the way to the Bencab Museum.
 At the museum a painting of this view by Steve Santos hangs by the hallway.

Facade of the museum


A wall of grafitti signed by different artists (one of whom is Bencab himself ) outside front the museum building

First level of the museum

The many faces of Sabel painted by Bencab on tiles at the Patio Coseteng of the Museum

Second level hallway of the museum 

Cordillera Gallery


Bencab Gallery

The Many Faces of Sabel



Years back, I read an article on Bencab and learned about this iconic muse of the artist. Apparently, she is a homeless woman with a psychiatric disorder. If my memory serves me right, the article mentioned Bencab seeing this woman wrapped up in layers of huge dirty plastic sheets scavenging for food. Not many people will find that pretty. Many will in fact turn away from a sight like that. Well, Bencab sure made one right move- put into painting an unlikely inspiration. So in 1965, he sketched his first Sabel and since then became the recurring figure in many of the artist's millions, er, works. ;) Seriously, ever seen how much Bencab's Sabels are being auctioned off? That's right - millions of pesos!

I scouted the museum for the paintings on Sabel. They were quite limited considering this museum is owned by no less than the artist himself. I read somewhere that Bencab seems to resent having sold his best works. Looks like his Sabel paintings were the best selling ones, many of which are now owned by art patrons.

Who is Sabel?
This vagrant woman is one of the best-known muses of the artist's storied career. In her plainness, he saw beauty; in her anonymity, he saw an individual person who chose to live as she saw fit; in her weakness, he saw her native wit and strength. It is a tribute to Bencab that what he saw, what he painted, are what endure. - Rene Guatlo








Oh alright, that's not Sabel. That's me. Photobomb! LOL


Self portrait of Bencab. Photograph taken by my friend Mike

Aside from Bencab's art, the Museum houses a number of really beautiful collections from the masters to the contemporary Filipino artists. Familiar names would be Ang Kiuok, Araceli Dans-Limacaocao, Jose Joya to Elmer Borlongan, Manny Garibay, Ronald Ventura and so much more. If I could bag one of those paintings hanging in the galleries, I'd probably pick a work of a master or one of Bencab's until I saw a painting of a contemporary artist unfamiliar to me. Her work may not be valued as much in monetary terms but the piece is just as stunning or perhaps even more stunning than the works of the masters.

"Ready to Hope" by Abigail Dionisio is that particular artwork which lingers in my mind even long after I left the museum. It pictures a blindfolded child wrapped in blanket. The lighting in this painting is just awesome that I had to double check if a pinlight was directed to the painting. No, there was none. All the gallery had was natural light and yet the painting glows at points that leads your eye to the subject. I have no idea what the author herself wanted to transmit as message of this piece. I may think it is open to interpretation. One thing for sure, it is one of those easily loved pieces of the museum. Mine, definitely!


Ready to Hope, Acrylic on Canvas 2011 by Abigail Dionisio
That's me taking a photograph of my most loved piece in the museum ;)



Before going home, my friend and I decided to have our lunch at the Cafe Sabel of the museum. Food was not really that great but just fine. No complaints here. I didnt go there for food anyway. While waiting for lunch to be served, I tried to take some photos of the backyard. It was foggy the day before Supertyphoon Yolanda visited the country so most photos didnt show much of what would have been a beautiful view of the mountains taken from a somewhat valley vantage point.

Back of he museum where the artist has his own organic farm

Then it was time to leave the museum. One last shot of the backyard while my friend took a picture of me taking those shots. Ok so now I understand why he'd call me Dora.


Dora the Explorer LOL!

Oh and btw, I brought something home from the museum for my chihuahua!

Boo: Ok, my master loves Sabel. What do I care?! LOL!
Addition to my collection is a hand-signed Bencab print of Sabel

Sabel II handsigned Bencab print


Comments

  1. hi there! how much would you sell your prints for? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi. i really haven't thought about selling the prints. make an offer. i might be tempted. ;)

      Delete
  2. Text me 09175820042, interested in your bencab prints. Are they selling his prints at the museum?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Calamba, Laguna: House of Dr. Jose Rizal and the St. John de Baptist Church

Juan Luna's A Do...Va La Nave? Paris, 1885

A Beautiful House by the River: Joey De Leon's Ancestral House